Wednesday, January 21, 2009

One Of The Korean Government's Campaigns For Domestic Adoptions


Lee Seung-ki

Yoon Eun-hye

Joo Ji-hoon

Wonder Girls

Kim Hye-soo
The above pictures are famous people in South Korean posing with babies that need to be adopted, it is a campaign the government is running to promote adoption. They are trying to make adoption accepted so that more Koreans will adopt the children that are currently being adopted by international couples.
I have considered posting about this and other campaigns for some time now, I have mixed feelings about it though, so have hesitated. I read somewhere yesterday that South Korea wants to end all International adoptions by the year 2012. That is very soon. We are lucky that Korea was/is still an option for us. I feel bad for all the families that are going to miss out on the opportunity of adopting from South Korea. I also feel for all the babies that may not have the chance at being adopted into a good family that is waiting for them to shower with love and affection.
Although if the program goes forward with a positive outcome and the Korean babies that are placed for adoption do find loving, caring homes in their homeland Korea, then who am I to complain/judge about that. I honestly do hope for the Korean babies that this is a good step in the right direction.
Just yesterday I had a co-worker ask about adopting from South Korea and she said that she and her busband are just in the beginning phase of considering International adoption. She wanted to know about the Korea program and our agency. It was hard to tell her that it is a great program but that she may want to consider their options quickly, because they do change. I do not want anyone to feel rushed or forced into making the decision to adopt or from a particular country but I also don't want to advise someone of a great program and then a few years down the line have them be heartbroken because the option is closed.
I know that there is a percentage of the world population that does not understand adoption. I have heard or been asked the following questions:
How could you love a child that is not your own?
You can have your own children. Why would you want to adopt?
Why would you adopt a child of a different race?
Why would you adopt a child that is not a newborn?
You have two kids why do you want another one?
I cannot fully explain why we are adopting, some of the reasons are very personal and I think each person needs to search their soul before committing to adoption. It is a long, emotional journey.
I will say that I already consider the little girl that we are adopting our own. I think about her every day. I am sure she has been born already and I wonder what her foster family is like. I wonder what her personality traits are. Is she happy, does she have all her needs met? Choosing to love someone is just as easy as giving birth. If your heart is open to loving a child, you will. Having a child by birth or adoption is a choice and thankfully I will soon be lucky enough to have a children through both circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment