Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Girl We Met At The Pharmacy

Adoption changes your life...Everyone wants to talk to you. Did you adopt her, is she yours, how long have you had her, why did you adopt, do you have other kids...On and on it goes. So far it has not bothered me. People have been nice and respectful. Hopefully the world is now becoming accepting enough that it will stay that way.
Today I promised my son he could get a drink at the pharmacy if he would hurry up and get his shots so we could go. He did. He didn't even cry. I was in a hurry because we had to get to my mom's house to go out to eat for my brother's birthday. I tried to talk him out of the drink. About the time he was caving in, I felt really guilty so ran him into the pharmacy. He got a drink and a lollipop. We went up to the cashier and there was an Asian girl helping another lady. A man was helping me. The girl saw Isabella Eun Jin and stopped helping her lady. She asked if Isabella Eun Jin was adopted. I told her yes. She then asked where she was from. I told her South Korea. She about jumped over the counter. She was also adopted from South Korea. I think she told me she was 3 months old when she was adopted. She was so excited. She asked me her name, and how long we had her. I asked her name and her Korean name. She was such a friendly girl but I had to cut the conversation short because the guy helping me was done. We left and I was thrilled to meet a young adult adoptee from South Korea.
When I got to my mom's house I was telling my husband about it. I started to feed Isabella Eun Jin and said to him to call the pharmacy and talk to the girl to see if she would write a letter about her experiences for our girl to have later on. He wouldn't do it. He said he would take over feeding the baby and I could call. I was kinda embarrassed about calling but the girl was so excited and friendly. When I called and got her on the phone I told her that she might think I was crazy and if she was not comfortable that she would not need to do it but would she possibly write and email if I gave her my email address to Isabella Eun Jin, whether positive or negative about her growing up and her experiences. She said she would be happy to, she told me a little more about herself and she asked about our girls birth family and what we knew about them. It was so fun to talk to her. I gave my email address and she said she will email me...Hooray!
The Korean Connections...I Love Them

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome, Amber! What a great opportunity for your family to get to know another Korean adoptee.

    ReplyDelete