Sunday, September 13, 2009

3 Moms-A Letter For Isabella Eun Jin


If there is ever a tomorrow when we are not together there is something you must always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think, but most important of all, even if we are apart, I'll always be with you.

(Christopher Robin to Pooh)

Dear Isabella Eun Jin,
Not every girl has 3 mothers that love her.
Your story is an adoption story.
A story about true love and heartache.
So many people will love you throughout your life but I want you to always remember your three moms and the complete love that each of us has for you.
Your birth mother. What a sweet soul she must have had to create a birth plan that included finding a loving family that could care for you when she could not. She spent a few short days with you. I am sure not enough to take away the pain of giving her daughter to another family. She will wonder about you and how you are growing. We may never know how many times in her life that she will stop what she is doing and think about you. The love a mother has for her daughter is in your heart. She will love you in her heart even if she does not have the opportunity to see you again. Some adopted children do have the opportunity to later meet their biological mother or father, sometimes though they know that it is going to be to painful and they are unable emotionally to meet with the child that they had to let go. Pain and grief can be so great that it damages a soul and a mother or father may seem unfeeling or indifferent. We are traveling down a difficult path and sometimes we do not heal from the things we have experienced. Walk softly with your mother, learn acceptance and love for her. I have a great respect for your first mother. Without her love for you we would not have you in our lives. I hope you do have the chance to meet her someday, I hope to meet her with you so that I can thank her for allowing us the honor of raising you. There are so many different cultures and values in this world, I hope you will not judge your birth mother and understand that she made the best decisions that she could for you based on her beliefs, values and resources. Your Korean name was taken from your mother's family. Eun Jin Lee. We will talk about her throughout your life, from the time you are small, and as you continue to grow. Some of the things we tell you about her are personal and we will not share with anyone else outside our family. We will honor her and give her respect for being your first mother. My heart hurts for her and I wish that I could also take her in my arms and love her. Remember through life that some decisions we make last a lifetime.
Your foster mother. You were given to your foster mom when you were a very tiny baby. She has taken care of you for about 11 months. We have pictures of her with you. You can see in her face the love and adoration she has for you. She smiles at you with pride. She loves you so much, she was heartbroken when she found out that your little body may need surgery for your heart. You can see that she takes time and care in dressing you. She dresses you like a little girl. She gets up in the night to feed you. She wants you to be part of a loving family and is teaching you about love by taking wonderful care of you. She will be devastated when we come to pick you up. She has given you affection. She comforts you when you are sad. She encourages you as you grow. She has fed you, bathed you, taken care of all your needs. She has given up sleep to take care of you in the middle of the night and early in the morning. She will miss you when she has turned you over to us. She will think of you throughout her life and wonder how you are doing. We will be able to send her photos and life updates about you, she will at least know that you are being taken care of.
Your adoptive mother-Oh how I love you... I love you like a mother loves her newborn. You coming to me has truly been a labor of love. I cannot wait to meet you and discover the little girl that you are. I hope to give you a happy and secure life. I hope you will feel how much we love you.
I will continue this letter after you have been with us for a time so that I can tell you all the things I love about you.
Until I have you in my arms, I trust your foster mother to keep you safe.
Love,
Your Mama

2 comments:

  1. That is a great letter. I hope that one day I can show my own daughter the love and respect you have shown for Isabella's first two mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....;) She is so lucky to have all of you.

    ReplyDelete