Friday, September 4, 2009

We Are So Lucky


Last week Jackson and I were waiting at Joelee's school to pick her up. The flag was at half mast or is it called half staff for Senator Ted Kennedy. Jackson was looking at it and said, "Why is the flag broken?" I told him it was probably old and from the weather. The entire edge of the flag was tattered and the flag was faded with age. I told him it would be nice if the school had a new one.
Fast forward to today. We got to the school early to wait for Joelee. While we were sitting there, Mr Miller came out with his class in tow. They stopped at the flag pole, and made a circle around it. He started bringing the flag down. We watched at he put up a brand new beautiful flag. After he put it up he showed the 6th grade class how to fold the old flag correctly. Once it was folded he had them all put their right hands over their hearts and he led them in the Pledge of Allegiance. I tell you I was bawling...I could not stop the tears. I love this teacher and am so glad that he is teaching our children to have respect for our country and our flag. It was an awesome sight seeing the class around the flag. They all had to look up to see the flag as it was directly overhead. I am glad I did not have my camera as this is a picture I would rather save in my heart.
We are so lucky to live in this country and have the right to freedom, to have the opportunity and choices that so many others do not have.

No comments:

Post a Comment